View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

Exactly. You can't be a loner. You can't really do anything alone on a MUSH. You can't go out and hunt down NPCs and KILL them. Skin them for actual coded objects. Sell the objects for actual money. Use the money to buy an actual NPC -or- PC prostitute. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't think the movie industry would be as successful if they took out all the sets, the props, the death, the battles, etc, etc, etc. What makes us want to read a story or be a part of one is that we think we're there, I simply have a hard time believing in a story being told within a chat room like setting. When I know my character can die permanently to a stray arrow to the head, I take the roleplay far more serious. Any mistake you make could be your last. Any political coup you try could lead to the death of your PC at the hands of NPCs or other PCs. That's what makes realism so important in a roleplay enforced mud.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote