View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #44
AC1

AC1 is on a distinguished road
The problem I have with most Roleplay Encouraged and even most Roleplay Manditory games is that the only roles available are sociopaths. Oh, there are variations like
Cute Pixie Sociopath, Helpful Cleric Sociopath, Mysterious Necromancer Sociopath, Noble Warrior Sociopath, etc., but everyone is a sociopath. Even the "lawful good" type alignments tend to go kill harmless baby animals or slaughter everyone in the smurf village (or equivilent) from time to time. The average character kills more people (humans or other sapient beings) than any cop or soldier even durring a time of war, and yet suffers no unfortunate psycological effects at all. No nightmares, no pangs of regret. Most of the people you are killing are no threat to you, your family, your country or your world, and yet you go looking for them for the sole purpose of killing them. Why? Treating other people like disposible objects makes you a crazy bastard, even if those other people are NPCs or mobs, and so on a game level are disposable objects.

Most games also have easy or automatic resurection of PCs, even the roleplay required games. I tried, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of death and miracleous resurection having no long term mental of physical effects. In real life people that have near death experiences or are technically dead for even a few minutes tend to mention it at every oportunity and occasionally speak on talkshows, and have it change their life. In most MUDs it is an everyday event, and people that make too big of a deal about it are annoying.

Your character and all of her friends are merciless sociopaths, and nobody thinks that there is anything wrong with that. I can't imagine living in a society like that, much less convincingly roleplay one of the residents of that society.

Angela Christine
AC1 is offline   Reply With Quote