View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Forum admin's dilemma.

I definitely think this is true. I've been MUDding a long time, but I definitely feel that there was a "generation" before me who are far more hardcore. The generation before me boldly logged onto MUDs and figured them out with very little to go on. My first mud has an extensive help file system, and I was able to find most of the things where I needed help. In the MMO realm of Thottbot and Wikis, I think people are pretty used to getting instant answers via channels, forums, and other mediums.

That's true also, but I do feel that a lot of those players are looking for things that are VERY specific. Often, they'll list features that they know a certain mud has but say that they don't want that specific mud. So they're basically looking for a game exactly like the game they played as long as it is not that game.

At the same time, I do agree that the more unreliable the listing becomes, the less likely a potential player will use it. They'll either post, or they'll just not use TMS at all. Even before adding new information, it's probably important to weed out the broken listings and the listings that send a player from a completely different game than what the listing says. It's probably also important that if more options are added to a listing, they are options that a PLAYER wants rather than what we admins think would be cool, if that makes any sense.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote