View Single Post
Old 03-15-2003, 01:08 PM   #20
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
John, as far as I know, doing systems like crafting has nothing to do with the base code that they are in, such as Diku, but is simply limited to the coder, and how it is coded in.

Feudal Realms is a ROM/Diku base, and we have an extensive crafting system in place...our system uses one prototype object for each particular thing, whether it be a part, raw material, product, and so on. The code itself is what modifies the altered object.

We started our crafting system completely on a whim on June 9, 2000 when a player submitted an idea for one of my "two-hour coding challenges" to allow players to mine up ore. I added that system in, and it was a "normal" skill, just given to warriors, but once people realized what it could do, and once -I- did as well, it ballooned into what it is now, a system of over 75 (and growing) craft skills.

I love it to allow people to do something OTHER than mindlessly kill things. It is not a complete replacement for existing mob-loaded equipment, but in the future, I can see it as such a thing...

If anyone has anymore questions on crafting (at least on our crafting system) drop me a message on here, or an email at

Terl
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote