View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #31
Nymeria

Nymeria is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding grounds for RP?

I've always read a lot and once I found fantasy I was hooked. I started reading books in English instead of in translation in 6th or 7th grade because I couldn't wait for the translations to come out. I always wanted more of the books I really loved, and I probably started spinning "what ifs" in my head pretty early on. Never actually wrote anything down since it frustrated me that I could think up things a lot faster than I could type them down.

In 95 I read the first Internet magazine in Sweden and read an article about MUDs. The idea of being able to play a MUD based on a favourite book, to step into that world, that seemed amazing. I was already a fan of adventure games, both the purely text-based and the early graphical ones, and MUDs sounded like they'd be even better. So, I sorted out a dialup connection and found myself a few MUDs. But, I've never had much patience for repetitive games of improvement, so while I had fun for a month or two, I soon started looking around for options that were more to my taste. And that's when I found MUSHes.

Over the years, I have played only book-themed MUSHes because the desire to step into a world I know and love is still the driving force behind my interest in creating characters and roleplaying them. Now I run one myself and have little time for other games, but I still get the "oh, I want to roleplay in this world" urge when I read a book I really like.
Nymeria is offline   Reply With Quote