View Single Post
Old 03-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #22
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I don't really see why it would be hard to add crafting skills to an existing mud.

We are in the process of doing just that in my own mud, and it's just a question of either using already existing items as raw material for the different crafts, or creating a set of new items and then resetting them in appropriate places in the old zones. Not much of an issue for a reasonably good Builder.

We also have based the crafts not on code, but on scripts, set on the tools you use for the craft in question. This makes it possible for an entire group of Builders to work on the craft skills and frees the coder for other tasks.

So for each step of a craft, you need to wield a different tool and hold a raw material, and in some cases you need a second raw material in inventory too. Each step creates a new item, that you in turn need for the next step, together with a new tool.

The scripts are a bit tedious to make, but the system more or less prevents players from just making a trigger and then go AFK, since they have to be active during the entire operation, and some asvanced crafts require 10 different steps or more.

Crafts that involve some kind of metal or woodworking are particularly fun, since there are so many different kinds of metal ore and trees, and you may have to travel over half the world to find the right wood for the handle or the right alloy for the blade of your weapon.

I guess eventually there will be a new player economy developing, where some players, who like to explore, will collect the raw materials. and then sell them to the crafters, who prefer just sitting still and do the actual handicraft work. This is all good, since it provides something to do for different types of players, who got tired of Questing or killing mobs.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote