View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #17
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Why not stay on topic, avoid personal attacks, and stop trying to turn every thread you don't like into a flame war?

If you think such a list has value, make the list/thread yourself. I happen to know that for a lot of people, it is the professional/full time component that matters a lot to them, so I chose that as the criteria for this list.

If Blizzard, Mythic, or a variety of other professional game companies made a free game, I'd try it. It isn't the fact that they charge money for their games that makes me willing to try them, it is the fact that they are professionals and it is their job to make those games. They have a financial motive to try and run them well, and that makes me feel comfortable investing my increasingly scarce gaming time in playing them. Heck, I recently tried Horizons and Shadowbane because they have just become free and yet were run by the same professional staff, yet I don't have the time to try out free, hobbyist run games these days.

In short, for some gamers, "free" or "not free" is not the salient point that matters most. But knowing a game is run by professionals whose job is to make that game good (and are not distracted by the committments of a different job) IS something that matters a lot to many people.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote