View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #7
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Hmm. Interesting idea, but with the versitility or zMud or even more so Mushclient, you had better provide a fully integratable ActiveX component that can be used to supply the same features to at least these two clients. I can 100% guarrenty that we have coders who could and quite likely would duplicate any of these new 'features' you make your client to do. At least not unless it includes some hard to crack encryption to keep anyone from using it.

Of course making such a plugable program is a tad complicated. The plugin system in Mushclient is much different than zMud. Basically... For zMud you code real plugin and zMud talks to it direct and vise versa (I think). For Mushclient all traffic 'from' the mud is handled by a script and that passing info to an ActiveX dll or exe, which can have the intefaces for Mushclient compiled in, so the dll or exe can talk direct to the correct game window. It makes things interesting to design..

However, once muds started using the features and someone using Mushclient decided to try to get at them, I would give you about 48 hours before they had something that duplicated it. Maybe less than that if it is something which could be doen without coding an activex component to do it. Some clients are rapidly becoming so versitile that you can do nearly anything in them, as such making a custom one that adds some bells and wistles, but is no where near as user modifyable, will probably only annoy people that already use ones like Mushclient and zMud.

Of course this is only my own opinion, but I doubt I am wrong about what would happen. Especially since the only things that would keep me from being the one doing it is a dislike of anything I have to continual pay for and the fact that I wouldn't want to risk being caught by the place I played at.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote