View Single Post
Old 10-20-2002, 01:53 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I started playing a P2P game (Gemstone) back when I used Prodigy Online Service. At that time, I'd only vague understanding of the internet, and in fact didn't even explore the built in web browser til shortly before Prodigy shut down its service. On a 9600 baud modem, surfing the web wasn't something people did for kicks.

At that time, I had no idea that muds even existed. The only reason I tried GS was becuase I got bored hanging out in the new age chatroom one day and clicked the highlight screen, and saw an advert for this new "just out of beta!" entry to GemstoneIII.

It was free...for me. But only because I was on a prodigy comp account, being one of the new age tarot readers for their chat area. Everyone not on a comp account paid their usual prodigy fee, and a portion of that went to pay Simutronics for each person who played.

Eventually Simu broke from online services and went solo on the 'net, and I became a paying customer along with the masses. I *still* had no idea that other games existed, and was still very wary of surfing the net.

I got tired of GS for a variety of reasons, and not long after I received a builk mail invite to join Inferno, I decided to give it a try. Again - having no knowledge that free games existed, I went to Inferno, another P2P, found everything I felt was lacking in GS, and stuck with it for three years. It wasn't until Inferno came here to place their game in the TMS listings that I discovered free games, and that was around a year ago.

I'm no longer an active member of the Inferno player base, though I still have an account - covered by referral credits for who knows how many more months.

I'm playing a free game now (Armageddon) as a direct result of my participation here as a player of a pay-to-play game; if it wasn't for Inferno, I would never have known this website existed.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote