Thread: Sickness
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Sickness

If your mud already has an event queueing system, you're set.

Sending a message was a specific example of a more general case: what happens if, for some reason, your illness ticks on 20 players at the same time, and each call to your illness function requires, let's say, 30 ms to execute? Unless you're doing interesting things with threads, that's a 600 ms delay. I can't remember where I heard this, but 100ms is when you start noticing that actions aren't instantaneous, so cut that in half to be safe: you're well into the point that people would cry lag. In 90% of all cases, however, the illness is only going to be a stat debuff of some sort or some sort of really short function.

It's like this: the length of the illness in a given tick is the amount of time spent in the illness function times the number of objects the function is being called on. Nowadays, you're not likely to get above a few microseconds in many cases, so...meh.

Illnesses as special cases are just debuffs, as far as I'm concerned. Not "fun", just part of mudding life. The impression I got from the OP was that this system would specifically be contagious illnesses, probably with standard sources (dead corpses, unclean water, things like that). I'm not against such a system being used sparingly, I just don't see what it adds.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote