View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I think it depends on what the purpose of the homepage is. Is it there to advertise to existing text MUD players? Is it there to advertise to people who have never played text MUDs before? Is it there primarily as a resource for existing players?

What we decided was that we wanted to try and cover all three to some extent, so we created the to promote our worlds to people who haven't played text MUDs before . It's thin on information but lets people jump in and start playing right away from there or lets them click through to the individual MUD homepages for more information.

The MUD homepages themselves are really targetted at text MUD players or very savvy graphical MUD players. They vary in terms of how much existing players use them. For instance, has a bunch of data on it pulled from the game showing things like most dangerous player, player deaths in the last hour, top ranked explorer, etc etc. The websites are also used to store things like area maps for players to use or for players to read. For instance, Lusternia's rather pretty maps are The websites are also used for things like , letting players search through and look at/read winning submissions. For pure visual style, my favorite is site.

I also completely agree with GuruPlayer regarding the irritation factor in going to a supposed homepage and just finding some forums that I'm expected to dig through.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote