View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: RP Intensive mud with no need for description

What you call "dynamic" is what I would refer to as "generated". Let me requote of mine, as I think it explains the distinction fairly well:

Ah I see what you mean - in this case, yes, I agree. However my players do self-police certain activities (such as botting), even though there are no official rules against it.

Yes, I use tags extensively - for all messages, not just descriptions. Eg even combat messages would be written as "{name} drives {his/her} {weapon} over {his/her} {other.weapon} and through {opponent}'s {opponent.eye}, {frying} {opponent.his/her} {opponent.brain}!"

Very nice, but I would consider those dynamic hand-written descriptions. When I talk about generated descriptions, I'm talking about the mud assembling the parts. For example, a description of your current location would be assembled in four sections, which I'll colour-code here to make the distinction clearer:

Section 1: Viewer's position (standing, walking, flying, etc), season and terrain.

Section 2: Time and terrain.

Section 3: Weather and terrain.

Section 4: Optional hand-written area description (season and day/night specific).

When combined, they give a paragraph like this:

You are walking through Whispering Wood, the leaves on the trees a mottled brown from the onset of autumn. Many leaves have already fallen to the ground, and they crunch beneath your boots with every step. The sun is beginning to rise on the eastern horizon, its red glow barely visible through the tall trees. Flashes of lightning and the rumble of thunder fill the night air, framed against the backdrop of incessant rain which falls through the tree branches overhead before pattering on the ground. Your cloak flaps wildly in the wind, providing little protection against the pouring rain. The trees in this part of the forest are tall and sturdy, their great trunks towering high above you.

Likewise most character descriptions are split into six sections:

Section 1: Appearance (or face armour) and hair (or head armour).
Section 2: Body, arms and forearms equipment (or naked upper body).
Section 3: Waist, groin, legs, shins and feet equipment (or naked lower body).
Section 4: Height and stance.
Section 5: Held weapons and hand-worn armour.
Section 6: Sheathed weapons.

Note that sections 2 and 3 may sometimes be merged, while 5 and 6 are optional. This system is only used for humanoid creatures - other shapechanged forms have their own special rules. But put these together, and you end up with:

He is reasonably attractive, with pale white skin, glowing red eyes and long curly black hair which reaches his bare shoulders, held away from his face with a bandanna. Thin lines of dark runes cover his cheeks and naked upper body, tracing the muscles of his chest, coiling around his bare arms and twisting across his flat stomach. He has a pair of trousers tucked into his boots, with a black sash tied around his waist and greaves strapped over his shins. He is nearly six and a half feet tall, and seems quite agile on his feet. A pair of knives are strapped to his forearms.

Or:

A pair of steely grey eyes gaze out through the slit in his closed visor, which conceals his facial features, and the hood of his cloak is drawn up over the rest of his head. He is wearing a breastplate over his chainmail shirt, and a pair of bracers are strapped to his forearms. He has a codpiece over his trousers, which are tucked into his boots, with a belt tied around his waist and greaves strapped over his shins. He is nearly five and a half feet tall, and rides his nightmare with grace and balance. He is holding a black aegis shield in his gloved left hand. A wand is strapped to his belt, while a pair of target shields are slung across his back.

Etc.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote