Thread: MUD: at school
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 05:17 PM   #18
Loremaster

Loremaster is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, the whole concept of a work ethic appears to be a foreign concept to most of the young people I meet and work with today.

Personal cell calls are often one of the 'perks' of working for a communications company; I know a man whose wife works for a major carrier, so his wireless internet access is FREE.

Employees do not dictate to the employer when and how long and what of what nature their breaks are, unless they bargain for it as part of a pre-employment contract. Otherwise they are expected to perform their JOB. What you do 'off the clock' is an entirely different matter than deciding after 90 minutes of work, that you 'need' 30 minutes to level a character on your favorite mud.

People are terminated every day for playing games, chatting online with friends or family, and other activities not related to the job they are being paid to do. If a company *permits* the use of company resources for personal use, fine. I am absolutely positive that they also have policy delineating what is acceptable and what is abuse. Much like KaVir's company allowing the use of cells for personal calls, but also expecting that they do not abuse the privilege with many expensive international calls.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote