View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 07:30 PM   #9
Emit

Emit is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Emit
sorry i've been away from this board from a while, but i'm pleased to see all the reponses.  ravenDM hit the nail on the head.  I have an open source text based aim client (maim) that uses a library called firetalk to communicate with an aim server.  i'm not trying to do anything graphical, or confusing; here is the way i imagine it working:
a player uses command "aim logon" or similar.
we open up a new socket or port to aim server, using routines from maim. (this is one of the parts i'm fuzzy about).
associate the player with the socket or port, send the request for buddy list to aim server, display that list to player.
player uses an "im" command very similar to a tell.
redirect this to the aim server dressed up like an aim from that person to his buddy
get back "message sent ok" or "user not on" from aim, and display appropriate message to player.
listen on this socket for incoming messages (which hopefully we can glean user name from) and direct those to player in form of 1 or many lines, depending on length.

thanks for the tip on libaim, i'm looking into it now.
the main problems are my weakness in socket programming, and the lack of documention i've been able to find for aim protocol.
Emit is offline   Reply With Quote