View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Otviss

Otviss is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I make a MUD?

According to me, regarding the creation of a MU*s in 2014, you have to ask yourself and deal with two topics.

First of all. The approach to the game. MU*s are not what...wait. They are actually. They are exactly the same as in the 90's but with the 3D gaming industry evolving, the "interest" of text gaming is becoming almost nonexistent. That is why we must understand that, no matter how much advertising a game has, it is still the problem of the interest of the gamer. Meaning that I am convinced that anyone can enjoy a text game. Really. I mean writing or reading isnt dead is it? And fantasy fiction isn't dead is it?(Lousy, mainstreamed game of thrones). So what is happening to the MUD community exactly?
Like I said, approach is so important. Your approach to the game and it's creation of content. And the consumers approach to the game. Which is all in text. What the ****? Where is a gun I can see?
Create yourself a concrete manifest of the creation of the game/world. I mean this is also a discussion of world building in general. What is good content, what is satisfactory. It sure as hell isn't a fantasy setting if that's what you think. Our target is not the one who is idle in the game until they come home from work and start playing. No. New people. Maybe young people. And in such a situation its not really wise to create another mainstreamed setting is it. Another question is what is the true output of the game? Fun? Well...if everything is about fun, why don't we let everyone take some ecstasy.

That means. As a second point. Like the others have said to. As long as you don't bring anything new to the table. Stop it right now. Your average fantasy/sci-fi MU* must be scrapped.

Second of all. This I touched a little earlier but. ANYONE ENJOYS A TEXT GAME. Remember that, it's not like some people have a magical mindset that makes them enjoy text gaming. Anyone does, since the book isn't dead. We have our preferences sure. I mean, it is a fact that some would not be in to it right? But with the right kind of approach, both from you as the creator and the slow deconstruction of pop cultural gaming, the amount of satisfaction and intelligence gained from text gaming can't be described. Be open about what kind of path the game is going to take. You must be unique when it comes to both the frame of the content, but also the content itself. Forget one of them and your game is not interesting.

An example: Here's a new MUD, it seems so fascinating and new and wonderful. But what? Ah I see, the content is just like any other, what a shame. All unique mechanics are then for no use.

The other way around: Oh, a game like any other, I don't know, let me try it. This is very interesting and I love the content, but its a shame that these old school mechanics hinder the gameplay.

(You can obviously disagree with these examples)

This all is just not my "opinion" in its practical use, we see patterns that this kind of method is important.

Last edited by Otviss : 06-01-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Otviss is offline   Reply With Quote