View Single Post
Old 04-27-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
Steiner

Steiner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Steiner
Angry

Who am I? I'm an American. Don't tell me I'm "uniformed" after I've studied various historical aspects of U.S. Military involvement. Who are YOU to restrict my freedom of speech?Can I not question their methods of induction to the military service? I think a lot about joining the service, and then I meet people like you that look down on civilians like they know nothing about the life of a soldier.

The fact is, I'm sure you would love the fact that most teenagers today don't care about what's going on in the world. I bet you love it when there is a report on the news and everyone is so shocked that we raided some 3rd world country, even though OPs like that go down every day and have been for a while, and you just nod your head and say "Yep, thats our boys."

Unfortunately for people like you, not only do I know about what's going on in the world and how our military operates, but I also question their standards when I see them so desperately trying to recruit a 4'3 105 Lbs. straight A engineering student that could care less about the military.

I suppose the many veterans and currently enlisted men in the military must be somewhat uniformed also, since a lot of the history I speak of is their account. I have spoken with several in person, so I do know just a tad bit about real life in the military and the training they must hold up to.

I'm a pretty down-to-earth person, and I rely not on what some Army Recuiter says, or what some statistic states that is correct. I hear my genius friends talk how they had a perfect score on the ASVAB, and how all 4 branches will not leave them alone no matter what they do. Instead of targetting an audience that will be eager to join, they target the audience that doesn't care, or has nothing better to do.

Am I saying the US Military is bad? No. Do I think it's wrong to send kids to their deaths? No. I am actually Pro-Military, it's just something that has to be done in today's world. You talk about melodrama? What about these glorious commercials showing how amazing your life will be in the military (except when you get blown to bits). Come on, just make it a little more serious and look for people that are not only smart, but want to be dedicated to the military, not to a "career." Stop relating this issue to that of a regular business. When lives and honor are at stake, it's not quite the same as going to a technical school to get a programming degree.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote