View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #168
Qzzrbl

Home MUD: #1 Armageddon
Home MUD: #2 Atonement
Qzzrbl is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Now I find this -very- hard to believe....

Because as a courtesy to new players, Armageddon gives newbs a "mulligan" if they're killed right out of character creation-- up to two hours of protection, I believe. (before you go off on a tangent and say, "OMG THAT WOULD TOTALLY RUIN MY IMMERSION, THAT CAN'T POSSIBLY BE TRUE RP EVEN THOUGH I PLAY IN A MUD WITH NO PERMADEATH!", this is just for new players. After gaining one karma, you don't have this safety net anymore.

Though I can tell you weren't truly -in character-.... Perhaps you thought you were, but you clearly weren't if you thought it'd be a cakewalk to go romp around in a VAST ****ING DESERT WHERE SANDSTORMS SPARK ON A WHIM AND FULL OF DANGEROUS CRITTERS AND RAIDERS AND ICKY ELVES WITH POISONED ARROWS all by your lonesome?

Would you do that in real life?

I don't think you would.... So why would your character?

And in a city where resisting arrest is punishable by death-- what did you think would happen after doing something naughty and catching the guard's attention?

I admit, there's a -steep- learning curve, and death is always around the corner, but the RP's top-notch. If you had perhaps talked to other players.... Made friends.... Things would have been different.

The main thing that repels alot of people from RPIs is because they come in with a totally different mindset. They come in thinking they can be a lone badass from the very start.

Which simply isn't the case.

The idea of abolishing global OOC channels, is so everyone is on the same footing.... You're paying attention to the game, without much to distract you.

In a game with permadeath, it would suck -alot- if you were in the middle of an OOC conversation about last night's football game when some big terrible beasty suddenly comes in and attacks.

I think that's the main idea. That sure, you can browser-hop, or chat with folks on AIM or whatever, but your text input is empty so when something comes up, all you have to do is click and go!

As far as newbies go, there's perhaps only -one single- global OOC channel I wouldn't mind all that much, and that would be a newbie help channel. The idea's been tossed around a little, and the main point would be for Staff-Approved helpers to help with newbies. The channel would be logged and easily reviewed by Imms to prevent abuse, and would be invisible to anyone not a helper (even then it would be toggle), and anyone not asking newb questions. (Yeah, yeah, I'm endorsing a -very- strict and regulated OOC channel with the sole intent of helping new players, despite what I've said in previous posts. Don't be a bitchy nitpicker, please.)

Though really, it's not -that- much of a barrier, as many RPIs are still gaining new players who grit their teeth and rough through it until they get used to the game.

Though until then, there -is- a list of AIM screennames leading to staff-approved helpers who are more than willing to help with newbies.

Problem is, most newbies step in and wonder why creatures don't carry coins and wonder why they can't see their experience points and leave without going any further.

And really, I haven't even noticed many veteran players dropping out.... Has anyone else?

I don't think it's that much of a problem.

The rules of RPI games are fine. We're not endangered or anything, we just have a slower influx of players who stay because of the learning curve. Which is fine, in my opinion.

It'd be -alot- easier if everyone read through that mountain of documentation though.... It -really- helps you to understand what to expect.

Everybody playing RPIs went through the same thing, but we all understand why Armageddon is often called "Crackageddon". (Yeah, yeah, shameless plug, don't be a bitchy nitpicker, please.)
Qzzrbl is offline   Reply With Quote