View Single Post
Old 08-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
Mason

Mason is on a distinguished road
I completely disagree with Brady's article.  Rape violates a character in a more personal and demeaning way than any amount of fictional violence.  Comparing it to the killings on these games is an apples and oranges event.  This is clearly demonstrated in such instances as movie ratings (e.g. cartoonish violence such as what might be found in a 007 movie might still retain a PG or PG-13 rating whereas a rape scene will guarantee an R rating, maybe even a NC-17 rating).

Moreover, I would have serious concerns about any of my players who desired to simulate a rape.  While this may be idle fantasy or breaking a taboo in the name of the game, my thought is that if people have no scruples against this activity, what would they consider to be too much?  What about child molesting?  Would you allow that?

Furthermore, if you let this happen once, it will continue and grow exponentially.  Once this occurs, you cannot put the cat back in the bag, so to speak.

Again, I can not state how opposed I am to this occuring on a mud.  And, I am disheartened that Brody advocates such an activity without adequate consideration of the psychological and possible legal consequences.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote