View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Bobo the Bee

Bobo the Bee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bobo the Bee Send a message via MSN to Bobo the Bee Send a message via Yahoo to Bobo the Bee Send a message via Skype™ to Bobo the Bee
Re: Rewarding for Exploring

Agreed, and I think running both systems would be preferable, moreso. But I've seen some MUDs that just use what seems to be more of a "meh, if we have to give you something we'll just make it a crapshoot so here you go" type of thing, which is much less un-fulfilling. I wasn't aware WoW uses a similiar exploration system as above, either, and I'd never made the connection between the ideas behind it and fog-of-war. RTS's often award exploration by giving the first player to locate and secure something like an artifact or other key-item/location special rewards, which isn't terribly ideal in a MUD, though "explorer's artifacts" could be an awesome reward for, say, a mud-wide scavenger hunt.

The TSE (formerly As the Wheel Weaves) system works best because, when you remort, all your 'exploration' is reset, so you can gain xp each new life. I don't think it'd be quite as good an idea on a MUD where you never re-rolled after your creation.
Bobo the Bee is offline   Reply With Quote