View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #57
Kariyana

Kariyana is on a distinguished road
Ahh, the always entertainng discussion on how to improve as a builder in an age where it seems improvement is always non-existannt. By all means, I shall add this with a broken hand, so forgive the typos if I miss them.

I've been at the helm of building nirvana for four years now, skilled on at least four different MUDs and starting on my fifth. And in this time, I too have seen my share of wannabes and know-it-alls, but the best I've seen are the ones who try to cheat their way around doing things that really require time and effort into perfecting to make the area more unique and interesting. I've tried my best to show and teach the newer builders and who's, how's, why's and if's of the building realm but alot of them never really seem to grasp the concept.

I've gone as far as creating whole files for MUD clients to better the experience, like a makemob and makeobj template that Zmud reads off of. It's simple to modify for codebases that have drifted off of the base SMAUG look and helps immensely when you want to make a skeleton area and then come back and re-examine to improve little by little.

I think when you look at it from all angles, there's no real tricks or traps to make building easier or better...all it takes is alot of elbow grease and a vivid imagination, along with some really wicked examples.
Kariyana is offline   Reply With Quote