View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Well ... this will probably get me flamed, so keep in mind this is only my opinion and I am extremely tired just getting in from work. But I've always wondered if anyone else felt the same as I do after reading Bartle's book - so here goes.

I ordered Dr. Bartle's book with great expectations days after it came out. There wasn't much information I could find about it then, but with a name like "Designing Virtual Worlds", I figured I couldn't go wrong. And maybe that's what did it in for me ... but after reading it (well, most of it) I really don't think that the book lived up to what I thought it would be.

I guess I was expecting more of a "nuts and bolts" style break down on the various big games out there. I am not sure what I thought would be in it when I bought it - but I guess I thought it would contain more information on basic fundamental processes and game logic, less design issues and more program flow, database choices and uses, etc. etc. I know I thought it would have more than JUST design THEORY issues and ideas about games.

After reading it, I really feel it's one of those "fluffy" books that toss a lot of ideas at you, but give you no real direction or answers. It reminds of me of some Political Science texts books that explain different political issues and ideas, but doesn't give any real hardcore answers to why some ways work and others don't. Although sometimes it's good, I didn't want to be left with more questions after reading the book than before.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great morsels of ideas about why players do what they do, and why designers need to consider certain things before developing games. And it's interesting to put "names" to the concepts that have been discussed before, like the player types. And it really gets you thinking about the design issues it explains.

But I really feel there wasn't much new in it. Maybe it's just me - as someone who has spent the better part of 11 years just quietly trolling sites about game developement - I've seen a lot of the ideas in the book before. And I really don't feel that it answered many questions or gave me any real direction!

I realize I am rambling (too tired), so I'll stop. But I hope this doesn't start a flame war - as that's not my reasoning behind posting this. But instead, I wonder if anyone else feels the same. And use it as one more piece of information if you are trying to decide about the book.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote