View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #59
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

You might want to re-read then, because you have it backward. The term RPI became popular -as a direct result- of players using it to describe the "big three." RPI referred to the "big three" FIRST. THEN it started referring to whatever NewForumMember wanted it to mean.

I'm one of the most "vocal" people here about the term RPI, and I haven't played one since 2006. So I'm not trying to "claim it for my own" because frankly I have no stake in it one way or another. The community came up with the term. Not the RPI community exclusively. The mudding community at large. It came up with the term, described it even though they never fairly defined it, and the description stuck.

Every so often, someone pops up saying that RPIs aren't really RPIs, or that THEIR game should be an RPI even though it doesn't fit the rules, and another 5-thread, 20-page discussion comes up. It dies down after a few weeks, and we don't have to deal with it again for another 6 months or so.

In addition, so far as I can tell, none of the "Armageddon style game" admins are posting here complaining about anyone's use of the term. None of them are upset about it, or feel their rights are being infringed upon. There seems to be simply a very "textually vocal" discussion amongst players, ex-players, and non-players of RPIs regarding the use of the term.