View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Guardian

Home MUD: moo.sindome.org:5555
Guardian is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: "Planned" RP or Pure Immersion?

I feel that contrived RP is generally dull, and that GM/Admin driven plots don't *need* to have predetermined outcomes unless said outcome is required to introduce something new into the world - for instance, new technology or a new faction.

That said, I suppose the 'type' listed here that I'm most interested in is "pure immersion" but I prefer what I call "living" RP.

The RP I prefer is driven by conflict, by shifting alliances, by both trust and mistrust – a living thing. Where you may create a character with a given intent but the world, the opportunities that present themselves, other players’ actions and most importantly your own actions and reactions may lead you very far from what you first envisioned.

On my MU* of choice players are expected to use all forms of coded systems, as relevant to their characters, in their RP. This includes not only the description and emote systems but also drugs, combat, vehicles, cybernetics and the myriad other systems in place – all of them are there specifically to breathe life into the RP. To ensure things don’t consistently go as planned, that events carry each and every character along strange paths just as long as everyone stays and reacts in character.

Players are expected to bring their characters’ motivations to bear and drive the RP. In return, GMs animate NPCs as required and fill in where the code can’t. They bring the world around the players to life just as long as players continue to drive the roleplay with their characters. They both help and hinder individual players so as to make events more interesting and exciting.

This sort of RP is the kind that stays with you, that you think about one, five, ten years later and tell yourself, "Man, I can't believe that actually *happened*." That same RP that makes you flat out unable to play MMORPGs.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote