View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
obit

Home MUD: telnet://we-dont.gotdns.org:1701
obit is on a distinguished road
Re: Can "Not Newbie-Friendly" be a Selling Point?

I don't know that "not newbie friendly" can be a "selling point", but I think that the difficulty of the game- the learning curve, can be. JTrek/MTrek is a game that's been around since 1986ish or so. If you are an unintelligent person, you will have no luck at this game. If you are just wanting to come in and "kick ass" right away, you don't stand a chance. The real cool part about it is the way it makes you "think outside the box" and learn strategy by looking at the actual mechanics of the game. You are forced to RTFM(read the ****ing manual) if you want to win. The game is a purely PK environment, and in there, you'll face players that have been possibly been playing the game since before you were born. That's not to say that you'll just get creamed endlessly until you reach your "ten-year mark" but there is a central core of old-time players who can teach you the in's and out's of the game and get you right up to a competitive level.

So considering the fact that the game is insanely hard, we have a rather broad player base and we, for the most part, play by the motto, "Live and Learn, Die and Learn Faster."

Perhaps it's a bit rough for some newbs.. but honestly, we, the hardcore players of many years, are expecting the newcoming crop of players to present a challenge to us. Every so often, someone comes along and displays a "nack" for the fast-paced combat in this game, and fits right right in with us. I have to admit though, it is a pretty exclusive group to be a part of, and you have to pay your dues to get in. This is mostly due to the fact that JTrek is completely levelless, and advancement is only gained through an increase in the individual player's skill.

So to sum it up, JTrek, like many other games, is not inherantly "newbie friendly" but does have many newb-friendly players.

It has been very successful either because of, or in spite of this fact, but no matter, you need a certain amount of balance, and you need to be sure of what type of players you're trying to get to play your game.
obit is offline   Reply With Quote