View Single Post
Old 05-26-2002, 11:26 AM   #31
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
Reread my statement. I said the builder used the medium of the owner, not a third party system. I also fail to understand the animosity in your statement. I'll ignore it, since there's no point to it.

Again, you're placing a narrow focus on a broad scope. Remove your rose colored glasses, Dulan, and look at the greater picture. Yes, you could easily claim that the two could be created independently of one another. It is entirely possible, for example, for JRR Tolkien and Fred Smith to both have created a Middle Earth, for example. However, since Mr Tolkien published his, he has the creative licensure rights to the idea.

I operate a uniquely themed MUD. Were a builder to create an area which was based upon my theme, regardless of the medium used, it would be unusable elsewhere without my permission. Note that this is entirely independent of whether or not this area was built for me, or even with my knowledge. The builder could certainly change the names and use it, however.

Wrong. Both Star Wars and Star Trek novels require permission from their respective copyright holders prior to publication. They are utilizing a theme without which their work cannot exist, and therefore are intimately dependent upon that relationship. The Star Wars multiverse requires approval of LucasArts prior to publication. Star Wars MUDs, were they known to LucasArts, would also require their sanctioning. I suggest you look on the web for the letter from Mr Raymond Feist regarding creation of MUDs based upon a copywritten theme before you put your other foot in your mouth.

Again, why the vehemence? I'll ignore the personal attack, and give a general disclaimer. All areas used on th eMUD for which I work were written by myself, my wife, or one to two other people. Prior to using work from other persons, I obtain a very specific written agreement between them and us which clearly outlines our various rights on each end. In over three years of operation, I have never had a request/demand/otherwise to remove an area, and I never expect to have one. I treat builders with the utmost respect, and understand from having done it myself the depth of the work they perform.

I have not lessened, demeaned, or removed the rights a builder has to his or her areas. I have merely expounded the other half, the right the owner has to the work as well. Show me where I have said a builder does NOT have the right to something. I challenge you, Dulan, to show where I have at any time attacked the rights of the builder in any of my posts.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote