View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
No, this is entirely not code related.  The point I was trying to make is that if I make a description wherein it asks the mud for 10 different variables and comes up with something based on a bunch of sentences that I put in there for each of those variables, the thing is likely to be a little choppy.  That's because I'm not about to sit there, frankly, and make sure that all 324 permutations of my sentences are brilliant.  It's hardly a code problem.

I might go grab something later, but the general idea looks like this:

if timeofday==night
Whoa dude, it's totally dark out!
else
Whoa, the light is so bright!
endif
if temperature==hot
Global warming is killing us all slowly.
else
It feels fine outside.
endif

So if it's night and hot, the player sees:

Whoa dude, it's totally dark out!  Global warming is killing us all slowly. (whatever other phrases you put outside the if functions here)

That was just four sentence combination, my worry about choppiness came from situations in where I was creating considerably more permutations for myself.

EDIT: Ok, for clarification, cause I see where the confusion is. The mud is not generating any stock phrases here. I am writing the phrases and giving the mud the conditions under which it should use them. My complaint about choppiness has to do with situations wherein the mud could combine my phrases in say, 20 different ways. There's no way to eliminate possible awkward sounding combinations. And very slightly awkward I should add, it's not like you're going to get a desc that says "The sun is bright in this absolutely dark room". I'm actually more interested in the time problem and the general "how do I know when I'm going totally overboard" question than in the question of fluidity.
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote