View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #61
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I can't -disagree- more about building being daunting and time consuming. Perhaps it's because my building background is of the modified MOO variety, but I've done a little bit of building for DIKU as well. It's a little more time consuming in DIKU than it is in MOO, but what's three minutes per room when you're working on a zone? An extra day's work? Big whoop.

Same forest example, multiplied a dozen times in the zone:

The forest is very dense here, the trees growing so close to one another that their crowns form a canopy overhead that almost completely blocks out the sun. Many of the trees are ancient, with gnarled trunks and twisted branches. Because of the deep shade the ground vegetation is sparse and straggly. A strange object protrudes from the canopy above; it looks almost like the blade of a sword.

The forest is very dense here, the trees growing so close to one another that their crowns form a canopy overhead that almost completely blocks out the sun. Many of the trees are ancient, with gnarled trunks and twisted branches. Because of the deep shade the ground vegetation is sparse and straggly. On a twisted maple sapling up toward the northeast, a tiny nest hangs low from a curled branch.

The forest thins out as it stretches westward, the trees less dense and the sky overhead almost visible through the canopy of gnarled branches and leaves. Many of the trees are ancient, with gnarled trunks and twisted branches. Because of the deep shade the ground vegetation is sparse and straggly.

Lush grass sprouts from the fertile soil on the western end of the forest, though here, it struggles to poke through scattered twigs and leaves covering the ground. The forest becomes very dense toward the east, the trees growing so close to one another that their crowns form a canopy overhead that almost completely blocks out the sun. Many of the trees are ancient, with gnarled trunks and twisted branches. Because of the deep shade the ground vegetation is sparse and straggly.

----

and so on and so forth, and this entire thing I just did took me less than five minutes.

How the heck can anyone say it's time consuming and daunting? You CAN use the same "template" of the generic forest room description, and altering only a sentence or two, or switching "here" to "toward the east" can change the entire vantage point of the reader's experience.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote