View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Why Do So Many Women Play Threshold RPG?

Definitely. I remember this group of female players who created a group called the "Wild Women" and they even designed a logo and everything (WW in a circlet of vines). They would make protest signs and carry them around town to raise awareness about all sorts of issues.

They were all great roleplayers and eventually became pretty influential in the game society. They were almost like a woman only Illuminati.

I put (female) in parenthesis there as I assume you meant to write it there. Correct me if I am wrong.

I definitely agree that having women on staff is huge. is 50% female owned and our staff is approximately 50% female. I definitely think that makes a big difference.

I'm not saying it makes all the difference though. After all, was made by one guy and it managed to attract a lot of female players. But I think in the long run, having women on staff is a really important step towards making games that appeal to women.

I definitely think that is why has been so massively embraced by women (75% of its players).

This is also why whenever I speak at a gaming or business conference I talk about how important it is to get talented and qualified women in positions of design and management in the gaming industry. Right now it is mostly HR or all the way up at the CEO position for PR purposes (e.g. 38 Studios CEO). The industry needs to attract more women to serve in all the various positions and roles so their contributions can be distributed through all layers of game development.

Its all part of my dream of video games completely dominating movies and television as the primary source of popular, culture defining entertainment.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote