View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #8
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I keep my descs short. In all the games I've played, clothing, equipment, and most accessories are seperate items, which can be looked at on their own. So there's no need to include them in the character description. PC descs focus on the person, not what's attached to them, in the games I've played.

Here's one:

Feathery brown hair frames the petite woman's face, falling in a tumble over her shoulders. Eyes the hue of rich, fertile soil gaze studiously over a narrow nose and full rosey lips. A short slender scar runs down the side of her chin, marring her otherwise flawless cream-toned skin. Though small in stature, she bears well-muscled yet curvaceous lines.

In the game's DIKU default width, I believe that ends up being 5 lines in total. It gives the -impression- of a simple beauty, nothing extravagant, pleasant to look at but certainly nothing worth writing home about. It allows the reader to know what she looks like - and come to their own conclusion on how they feel about it - though lends a -hint- that they'd probably feel fairly appreciative.

Another one:

Slender curves form this adult woman's physique, from broad squared shoulders to a gently rounded abdomen and slim waist, with long muscular legs descending from narrow hips. Her windswept hair, the grayish-brown of the vast desert dunes, tumbles around an angular face and down around her long, ruddy-hued neck. Wide silver orbs perch atop a short nose like twin Lirathu moons, while deeply bowed lips spread above a strong dimpled chin.

That one's a wild beauty, and the choice of words used, and placement of words within the sentence, allows for a flowing description to reflect the natural grace of the character.

I try to avoid references to any part of the body that is -usually- covered by clothes, such as scars on the torso, the size of her boobs (unless they're obviously very flat or very big), that kinda thing. To me, people who make female characters with detailed descriptions of their breasts are just as ridiculous as seeing a male character with a description of his penis. It's just unneccessary. You don't have to show people that you're a F-Me PC if you roleplay the role appropriately.

My character descriptions -rarely- run past 6 lines, and when I see descs that go over 10 on other people I just groan and roll my eyes. There's nothing more annoying than seeing a 4-line dissertation on the exact hue and quality of each strand of a character's hair, followed by the exact angle of the tilt in the guy's nose. Just tell me the hair is the inky color of a raven's feathers, and the nose tilts off slightly to the right. Overkill is annoying.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote