View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #31
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Muds with representatives recently added to Mindseye:
Threshold, Islands of Myth (formerly Red Dragon), Feudal Realms, Discworld, Necromium, and Carrion Fields. I urge you to join if you meet the requirements. Who knows if the group will survive (there may not be enough traffic with the requirements for membership) but it's worth a try.

As regards the earlier discussion about opening the list to being read by all, the current group members came down heavily on the side of "no" for a couple reasons:
1. We may discuss things we don't wish our respective playerbases to read. There's nothing nefarious there, but if we're discussing a design problem or an upcoming event we would like to be able to share information with each other and know that it's unlikely too many people outside of the membership list will ever see it.
2. We don't really want to deal with the inevitable bitter types who will copy posts from there and repost them here or on TMC in order to flame a poster.

Sorry, but human nature dictates the purpose of the group cannot be fulfilled if we allow open read access. I understand this is disappointing to some people (and no doubt those who seek any excuse to attack me will continue to babble) but please understand that it's not an attempt to be exclusionary for the sake of being exclusionary: It's an attempt to create a group specifically for the needs/desires of administrators of larger muds, which are somewhat different from smaller ones. 50 is an arbitrary number but then any number we picked would be fairly arbitrary. The only other solution we could come up with was hand-picking people but that smacks of potential unfairness as whoever is doing the hand-picking is going to have biases. (Voting isn't really an option as it's too unwieldy.)

Now, I understand some of you are likely to still say, "But I'm not an idiot just because I don't run a larger mud." No one is calling you an idiot, or incompetent, or anything of the like. However, if you don't actually run a large mud you've not got much to contribute to a forum that is specifically for the concerns of larger muds. Experience in whatever we're discussing is what matters to us and if you don't have the experience of running a larger mud then there's not much reason to have you in the forum.

Sorry to disappoint anyone but that's how it's going to be for now at least. Join us, grow your mud and join us, wish us luck, or heck, go ahead and curse us out. Every post attacking this group validates the reasoning behind why we made the group in the first place, and, in fact, the attacks in this thread are the primary reason that certain group members are VERY against open access (and I'm slightly more ambivalent about it than a couple of other group members).

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote