View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #74
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

I don't think I said what I meant, at least not very well. Let me try again.

There is certainly a place in role-play for extended description to suggest mood, intention, or anything else that can be implied. After all, an enormous part of communication comes from body language, voice intonation and uncountable other physical nuances that can only be captured in emotes. That's just a natural part of the act of playing a role in a world where the only tools available are typed words.

What I object to is the attitude that every single muscle twitch must be described for role-play to take place, and I really resent being ridiculed for failing to do it that way. It's happened to me on multiple occasions, more than once when I've just stepped into a game for the first time.

The issue is a little bit more complex than that, though. I banged out my original post in a rush and chose my words poorly. My intention was not to insult. Bottom line, these games should be about having fun, and if sitting in a tavern chatting with great description is fun for you (rhetorical), then have at it. It's entirely possible to establish a character history this way. I just don't consider it great RP.

To me, what makes great role-play is hard decisions. Characters can discuss the value of preempting a rumored imminent attack by the evil enemy from the east, but until they choose a course and take action, there are no consequences and no one is meaningfully affected. Trial. Decision. Consequence. This is the process that defines character, IMHO, and while the art of prose emotion and all manner of communication is necessary along the way, no amount of fireside storytelling can replace characters choosing a course of action and seeing it through.

I guess I don't define "role-playing game" quite as strictly. In my mind, it's more about atmosphere and opportunity than differentiating my character from myself. The key is immersion, and if a game world includes an environment rich with context within which I can assimilate my character and offers a narrative to which he/she/it can react, I can apply my own tastes, desires, opinions and morals, and still find the fulfillment of being someone else in another world.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote