View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #76
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Without a doubt, which was kind of my point. Sitting around writing in-game prose might be fun, but I don't consider it to be the height of RP, as many people do.

Well, there are no absolutes. As with emoting, storytelling has a place in a role-playing game. Discussing events and deciding what to do about them is a natural part of the progression. And it's true--not every situation will call for a lynch mob. I would argue, however, that deciding not to preempt a possibly imminent attack could be as difficult as storming immediately into battle. Waiting could have far worse consequences than taking the fight to the bad guys.

I hope I didn't give the idea that "action" has to necessarily mean "combat." I have actually always tried to avoid battle as plot and/or resolution as I've designed storylines. Intrigue is a heck of a lot more fun than constant hack and slash. I just believe there are better ways to deliver information than sitting around talking about it. Show instead of telling, please.

From the players' side, I'd rather unleash a covert plot to free condemned religious outlaws with whom I secretly sympathize than to sit at a bar and tell a story about them. It all depends on the powers that be presenting such opportunities and reacting to player initiative, of course, but ideally, that's how it should work. That, in my opinion, is real role-play.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote