View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 12:39 PM   #6
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

It sounds like an interesting idea, but it has a few problems that need to be overcome:

First, the stats that the playerfiles accumulate need to be compatible across all of the participating game systems.  I can foresee this happening with one mud that's simply distributed everywhere else and code changes work in tandem, but not really with seperate muds that may have entirely different ways of doing things.

Second, you'll need some mechanism for keeping the system fair.  I shouldn't be able to start a mud, mess with my pfile and make my player invincible, and then go to other muds and have an invincible character.  So there's got to be some sort of cabal of people that review the caliber of admins and games that are allowed to participate.  This problem might be mitigated if you used a central server to dictate starting stats for the various pfiles, and you could run checks on the pfile database to see if one player mysteriously jumped levels.

Third, the authentication for these systems must be secure.  But this is easy to accomplish by simply using an SSH tunnel, as thelenian noted.

Overall, I think the idea is excellent in terms of writing a "distributed" mud world.  Many more problems arise, but those are really questions of implementation that can be solved with enough effort.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote