View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #257
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

That's an easy one. What exactly is a reward? I guarantee you we could have an equally long thread as this one debating what exactly constitutes a reward.

Some people think it is not a reward if it is just a short cut. If the same thing can be obtained in game, then some people feel (perhaps rightly) it is not truly a reward to pay for it with money, credits, tokens, etc.

What about a special emote for "donators"? Is that a reward? Some people don't think so.

What about letting donators "re-string" an item (change the description) of their choice? Is that a reward? Some people don't think so.

What about a little medallion that you can wear that signifies you paid something? Is that a reward? Again, some people don't think so.

What about a list in the game or on the web site of people that bought merchandise or sent in money for hardware? Is that a reward? Some people don't think so, but some people do.

Regarding lists, special emotes, medallions, or other indicators of having bought things or "donated", let me draw a real life analogy. Why do you think people put those "Donator to the Fraternal Order of Police" stickers on their car? Because they are proud of their donation? Not likely. It is more likely that they think/hope a police officer will be less likely to give them a ticket when he or she sees the sticker. This is the same sort thing people receive if there is ANY notification anywhere of who sent money or bought anything. In my view, that is a reward.

What about getting more attention from the admins when they have a problem? Is that a reward? Some would say no, and some would say this would never happen. But it is ignorant of human nature to think some guy who sent in $500 for RAM isn't going to get the admin's ear a little quicker if he has a problem. In fact, this is precisely why I think it is bogus for anyone to claim there is ever "no reward" once money changes hands. As soon as there is a financial transaction, the likelihood of there being some kind of reward is highly likely. I mean MUDs aren't charities.

Fewer options that are actually accurate are better than more options that are inaccurate and prone to abuse and misinterpretation.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote