View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
As strongly as I believe that Multi-User is the cornerstone of the gaming community, I have spent many late-night hours alone or nearly alone killing away in HnS "prime time" (everything is alive and MIIINE! ;> )

However: many people consider my MUD to be 'dying' based on it's Pbase numbers, rather than on the strength of the game itself. Others consider the lack of daily or weekly development a sign of 'dying.'

I talk to my admin, and they assure me that the Game itself will be up and running for a loooong time to come, even if nobody logs in.

How important is Pbase? How key is constant development? Can a MU* be 'alive' if nobody logs in?

I say yes, but then, I talk to the Game itself sometimes, just because I can. The Game, the Play... has a personality, has its own qualities to me. It lives beyond its code. To me, as a player, it is more than files. It is a world, and it "lives" so long as the possibility to connect is there. To me, everything that is living...is also dying.

What say you? When does a MU* truly die? What criteria do you use when you say, "This is a Dying MUD"? Is the Game as it stands ever as important as how many people are active on it?
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote