View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: I'm looking for a new home; RP enforced

MUD (as opposed to a MUSH or graphics game): Armageddon
RP-enforced: Armageddon
Selection of races: Several available playable races, though new players have fewer options at first.
Element of darkness: The overall theme of Armageddon is pretty dark. The motto is "Murder, Corruption, Betrayal."
Classless/levels: There are classes but no exp points or levels, and there are sub-classes to give your character more coded depth. You pick a main class and a sub-class (called guilds and subguilds in Arm but they amount to the same thing)
Grinding: There is some element of grinding involved in ANY game that has coded skills. Armageddon has coded limits on how much you can gain during a timed window, so there's no advantage to endlessly grinding, as opposed to practicing/experimenting/crafting for a couple of game-hours (around 20 minutes), and then doing something else for awhile. Again, this goes back to the RP-enforced code. You are expected to play the role of your character. The game world doesn't have any such character as an automaton or robot.

Character growth: Armageddon has permadeath; your character growth would be limited to how much depth you can roleplay into your character's personality and experiences during the time that he is fortunate enough to live. This could be a few hours, or a few real-life years. The story of your character changes organically for the most part so the end result is not predetermined, other than the fact that he will, eventually, die.

Magick system: In-depth magick system, but you won't see casters spelling up in town square. Magicks are illegal in one city, tightly controlled in the other city, and suspect in most of the rest of the game-world.

Donations: I believe they still accept donations but they never ask for them, and you get nothing from them other than an e-mail thanking you for it. You -can- buy logo tee-shirts and mugs on cafepress I believe, but I don't even think any of that goes back to the game.

Aliases: Not necessary, except maybe if you play a mage, and that's just to save you some typing when you cast spells. That's the only time I've ever set up aliases for Armageddon. I type pretty fast though and never felt the need for more than just a few spell aliases, so your mileage may vary. You can always make your own aliases if you really want to in your client, and you can set up to 10 within the game itself.

Simplicity: Eh - commands themselves are mostly the usual - sit, stand, kill gortok, flee west, up, enter/leave. The communications systems are a bit different from most. There aren't any "socials" left other than nod and chuckle I believe. You use the emoting system instead. And you can talk at tables, tell specific people things, say something to whoever is in the same room, yell loudly so people in adjacent rooms can hear, whisper to specific people, recite and sing - but all can have emotes attached to them if you want them to. They don't have to though so the result is as simple or as complex as you're comfortable with.

Colors: Armageddon defaults with a very plain color palette. If you want fancy colors you can use your client to customize it. Armageddon is fully ansi-color supported.

The quality of text: Some of the rooms were written by professional authors. The coders mostly stick to code. I think that's one of those "nuff said" things

Oh - population: It's 9:07PM eastern time on a Friday night, and there are 52 players currently in the world, other than myself. During announced RP events, there can be well over 100 players. During off-peak, there's usually at least a dozen.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote