View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Well, with all due respect, I think it's probably more appropriate to use the word 'commercial' as the rest of the world does rather than to invent new meanings.

Antira wrote:
Two problems with this:
1. Money can affect gameplay in virtually any MUD, whether the admins accept money or not. If you don't believe me, look at the ads right here on TMS for gold-farmer companies. World of Warcraft certainly doesn't sell gold, but purchased gold has a HUGE effect on the world. Now, obviously WoW is commercial regardless because of their subscription, but imagine if they ditched the monthly fee (like Shadowbane has for instance). Money would still have a massive effect on gameplay and there's nothing Blizzard can really do about it.

What you seem to be wanting to say is that commercial is based on the attitude of the admin: Does the admin welcome or oppose money affecting gameplay? But this is pretty irrelevant. Blizzard adamantly opposes gold sales, and yet, again, it has a huge effect on the game. Just listen to the way people complain about gold farmers on the forums for instance.

2. If affecting gameplay is what makes something commercial (I can't say I've ever heard that definition of commercial used anywhere), then are you telling me that is non-commercial? Neopets is most definitely commercial (which is why Viacom bought them for $160 million) and they don't charge their players for anything.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote