Thread: Hey everyone :)
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Zahri

Name: Niki
Home MUD: Avatar MUD
Zahri is on a distinguished road
Re: Hey everyone :)

I did manage to get to the store last night to get a few packages of peanut M&Ms, so the world is right again.

For Library Sciences, it is tied closely with Communication and Information; that seems to be the focus that Library Sciences takes as well. It's not just about books anymore -- it's hard to get away from people unless you're working in the back room cataloging new books, and even then you need to communicate well with co-workers.

Last semester I studied Principles of Searching, Information Technology, etc. I also did the more generic References Sources and Services course, which teaches you about library anxiety (who wants to approach a librarian who is surrounded by a battleship-sized reference desk?) and how to tease what the patron wants out of them -- some/most don't know how to formulate their request the second they step up to the desk. One nice thing I found with this Masters program is they also introduce the 21st century into it. I took an information visualization course, and will be taking multimedia production next semester (flash, gifs, etc). There's also a social networking course, too.

But you can also tie gaming into it, which was a surprise. Right now, I am taking Human Information Behavior, and the professor is trying to get us out of the "library" mindset. Thus I contemplated for a few days doing a paper on the information seeking behavior of mudders, though I had to go with something more conventional for lack of time (but there is stuff out there! just not a ton yet).

And, for the "weirdest" thing I have found to come out of Avatar MUD, about how well group members communicate during low/high stress periods. ;p It's actually a popular run on the game, though nospell rooms and snipers aiming for your throat tends to raise up the stress levels

- Zahri
Zahri is offline   Reply With Quote