View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: looking for a MUD true to D&D rules, classes, with RP enforced or encouraged...

You actually got Wizardry to work? Mind you, I played it a lot later, but I seem to remember a bug in at least one version that caused the character data to become permanently corrupted in some cases, losing some of your custom characters. I stopped even trying after than happened 2-3 times in a row...

The problem with graphical systems really though is that they just haven't "yet" caught up to where they need to be. Someone needs to marry SL style create your own world type design, with some good AI, maybe some decent speech systems and language AI, etc. Its a case of cost. I don't doubt all the pieces exist today, to produce at least a decent one, but the server costs, plus all the costs for the licenses to all the code needed to make it work (since reinventing it all would be a major pain), with the addition of bandwidth and client end requirements... Sigh...

But geeze, you would think they could at least do it for something simpler, like Battletech. I mean what is it with these bozos. I know, it would have annoyed "some" FPS types to do it, but why couldn't they have made weapons in them work like a shotgun system. I.e., you "aim" at a certain part of the mech, but the odds of "hitting" that part are dependent on a) gunnery skill and b) if you have a targetting computer and are using it to aim. If you aim at the legs, the odds are you are going to hit more brush than you are legs, just like in the RPG "period". Bugged the hell out of me when I used to play it, especially since it meant we would never see a sim, even if they ever wrote one, that would a) let you "build" the basic specs for the mech, as in armor points, weapons, engine class, etc., then *test* that in the sim. Didn't matter if you had a fracking fast mech with a punny laser, or a 100 ton giant with fracking Clan super weapons, a few shots to the legs and you enemy was down... bloody stupid.

But that is the problem really. They need to make the game where the widest audience can "get into them". Immersion might be possible in 3D, but not so long as some clown is sitting in a room going, "Ok, but what about people who like first person shooters? Will they want to play this too?" Umm, no, its not the @@#$#@ target audience, but it will be by the time the game hits market (or at least a lot closer to what they want).

Anyway, sorry about the rant. Can't really give much more advice than already given, which is to just take a look at some games on the top 100.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote