Thread: A question.
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: A question.

Here are some stats from the server side on Alter Aeon, I figure they might be interesting, if not useful.

4623343 socket writes for a total of 653457072 bytes (141.339 average per write)
1025989 socket reads for a total of 14262288 bytes (13.901 average per read)
Total uptime: 1 days, 18 hours, 55 minutes, 18 seconds. (4954 ticks, 154518 seconds, 31.19 per tick)
Time weighted userload - 47.7

That's approximately 89 bytes per second per player outgoing, 2 bytes per second incoming. My guess (and it's completely a guess) of small packet overhead would be to double these numbers, then double them again to remove the effect of idling players. As such, I'd expect approximately 400 bytes per second outgoing per active player, and probably 10 bytes per second incoming. 400 bytes per second over the course of a month is nearly a gig of data transfer.

There's a lot of other factors to keep in mind with these numbers; the raw data includes http connections and portscan connects, which inflate the data rate somewhat. There are also a number of players using our custom client, which has additional side channel data, and blind players with clients that aggressively (and I mean aggressively) poll for status updates.

Based on the above, an average of 400 bytes per second seems like a decent guess as to upper limit for mobile data transfer.

This is incidentally the first time I've ever heard an argument for MCCP that wasn't just stupid; thank you once again for your contributions to the forum, KaVir.

-dentin

dentin is offline   Reply With Quote