View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #95
xotl

xotl is on a distinguished road
Arrogance is unwarranted self-importance. It's when you feel you are more important than you are.

Matt (the_logos) does not appear arrogant to me in these posts. He is winning the battle for having some of the most successful muds by vote on this list, and most likely some of the most financially successful as well. On these two points he has my admiration.

It's been interesting to see the balls of reactive emotion blurt things out at each other on this list. But in the end, no matter how much irrationality is present, it seems like several people were wronged.

Medevia IV should not have to submit to the letter and for all eternity to an agreement they made a long time ago. However, if the agreement they made is no longer suitable for them, they should renegotiate it into a win-win situation. It seems fairly obvious that their mud would not exist were it not for the contributors to MERC1.0.

Attempting to enforce on another that they cannot ever charge for something built on top of their work seems criminal. It is limiting the industrious poor and thus opressive, creating slaves. Linux, for example, does not have such a prohibitive license.

A skilled laborer is worth his hire. I suggest Medevia IV cough up some percentage of their gross profits (10-20%) to those on the MERC/Diku team and restore their credits. I also suggest that the MERC/Diku team put in some reasonable clauses that set terms for commercial enterprises. If both sides cannot resolve the situation, one or both are probably suffering from an inflated sense of self-importance. In that case Medevia IV should buy a commercial game engine license, give themselves a deadline, and transfer over to it.

Making money is not bad and not making money is not bad. But it's a horrible thing when people focus blindly on one or the other and fail to have the decency to focus on the other people involved and try to understand them, and why they are doing what they are doing.

Also, if someone has a holier-than-thou attitude, you can safely bet that they are an individual with a lot of personal issues themselves, and they are trying to enforce their limitations on others because unburdening their own would be too painful.

Xotl
xotl is offline   Reply With Quote