View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
bobotehbee

bobotehbee is on a distinguished road
Re: Bobo's Tour de Mud

In retrospect, with your comments KaVir, I don't think I came across the way I meant to with the help files and the sort. To be clear: yes, most things are documented, though there are a few things that can be difficult to find -- that 'help ethereal' doesn't exist as ethereal weapons/armor is only explained at the bottom of 'help attack' is one example of the few complaints I've found. You'll have more issues with helpfiles on most other MUDs out there. Rather, I meant more that it can be quite confusing, which is more a result of the complexities of the system itself. I can read a helpfile on something and, well, not really "get" it just from that. The explanation of 'WHAT' this term is and 'HOW' it is calculated is generally there and fine, but knowing how it 'APPLIES' to me can be a difficult connection to make. "So Cooldown is 4 for light armor? Well, 3 seconds doesn't seem like that much, does it? Soo .. okay?" is kind of how I felt after reading the file in question.

I think that a helpfile -- or a post on the website, forum, wiki, somewhere that you can link to in-game -- that steps through a few mock combat sessions or rounds that are doctored to help explain each step of the system could be really beneficial to helping someone like me understand it more deeply.

That you can admit problems is one very important thing I think all MUD Admins need to have, and in looking in a small extent over your forums I was pleased to see that you do participate in debates regarding balance and new features. I can't tell you how many times I'll find a flaw on a MUD and bring it to the attention to an immortal and be responded to poorly for 'calling out' the staff or something silly like that.
bobotehbee is offline   Reply With Quote