View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #29
flbellman

flbellman is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

I cannot agree more. I tried other MUDs, and I have to say that Achaea staff cares a lot. In my opinion, Achaea is either far better than other MUDs or it matches my RP taste better. This is just my opinion, so please do not feel offended, I respect you all. I try MUDs constantly, as I am very curious about the whole phenomenon. Of course, Achaea has defects - as everything - but it does not matter that much. The IRE community as a whole, staff and players, are very active, super daily active. So there is always something new to discover, to try etc… I am not tied to anyone of the staff, nor I am a volunteer or anything of the sort. I am just being honest, and this is a neutral opinion from and end-user of the product. Sadly, I am the only player in my country, I believe, which is Italy.

Some players tried other MUDs but in the end they did prefer Achaea. I think that the reason for this is its quality. Anyway, the staff is doing everything to improve Achaea, and this stimulates players' support as to content and money. Trust me they react quickly, very quickly.

On the contrary, I believe The Logos replied excellently already. Additionally, if the MUD staff need money for coding and such, players should support it. If the players feel cheated by the staff, the players will stop paying, and playing as well. It is a delicate balance that the staff must preserve at all cost, as a matter of survivability.
If Achaea and AArdwolf are doing well, people should start thinking about these MUDs as model to follow, an experiment to learn form, and not to go against.

Finally, getting back to the topic, I have one long-shot analogy that came to my mind, and could be interesting to discuss. "Video killed the radio stars, as graphic games are killing MUDs." i.e. the impact TV had over Radios. However, Radios are still alive, and fairly adapted to this dramatic shift in how content is consumed by the population. Maybe the Admins could think about something to improve their player base somehow. Same could be applied to TV channels vs. Internet.
I do not know, it may be interesting for you or not.
Forgive the wall of text and typos, and/or grammar mistakes.
flbellman is offline   Reply With Quote