View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
dayrinni

dayrinni is on a distinguished road
MUD Development Journal

Hello,

I am Dayrinni. I code things. I am a programmer in “real life”. I work for a major tech company as a Java programmer/software engineer. I have decided to make a Java based MUD and tell you the tale. Hopefully, you guys will enjoy this.

Background

While in high school (over 10 years ago), I had big dreams to have my own MUD but I could not code. I tried to get some other people on the internet to work as coders. This usually ended up as a complete disaster. I have some good stories to tell, if anyone cares to hear. So in my first year of college in 2001 I decided it is time to try my hand at MUD programming. I grabbed a copy of fastrom and went to town. Many years later, the game A Tempest Season was born. This was a mildly successful MUD. But I ran into major personal issues and was forced to shut it down. Something I regret. Anyways, that is a different discussion.

Development

I usually do all of my projects in private and then release them when I am happy with the end product. I am going to do the complete opposite with this MUD. I will be posting updates on the game as I make them, which should be fairly consistent. In these posts I will talk about...well everything! The design, the reasoning behind what I did, the code, the story – you name, it'll be there. I shall continue to reply to this thread with updates.

I hope to get people involved by being in an open development environment. I am open to suggestions and feedback on what I have done. I may or may not take suggestions/feedback. If I do take anything major, I will ensure I place your name on a credits command within the game (if I forget anyone, please let me know).

One other piece of information before I give a brief description of the game: since the community will be helping me out in some capacity, I would like to repay that by saying the following: if anyone has Java questions, please shoot me a PM. I will be more than willing to help you out. However, I will not help you do your homework .

The Game

The name of the game will be:
Ascension: Relics of Fate

Yep, another A name strikes!

The genre is your typical middle-ages/medieval. It will be a RP-enforced MUD. I enjoy telling a large story and letting the players take part. So I came up with a simple yet interesting concept. This game is about three kingdoms and how they deal with an ancient evil power that was sealed away thousands of years ago coming back to life. The story will be filled with political intrigue and adventuring. We will have staff ran events that show case the story and allow players to participate in the world.

Some of the features we want to have are: a customizable class system, a quest system (both static and randomly generated one), ASCII map system, some sort of political system where it is actually possible to do non-combat progression and still have an impact. I would also like to include a custom front end, but that will come later on once we design and implement out the systems.

I'm still working out the details on some things, but am making pretty good progress.

Where are we?

The final part of this post is How Far Along Am I?

Well, in 2008, I decided to try my hand at writing a Java MUD from scratch to see if I could do it. And I did in about a month! So right now I have a good base line to work from. For example, all of the networking, ASCII map system, many commands, shop systems, etc, are all implemented. I simply have to start modifying and extending what I currently have. We are on a good start. Once I finalize some additional design documents on the various systems and how the story/world will affect them, I will begin implementing everything. However, the game is not ready for anyone to try it out yet.

Feel free to email me too at: . My AIM is also: WindHeavenNights

Thanks,
Dayrinni

Last edited by dayrinni : 10-16-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typos.
dayrinni is offline   Reply With Quote