View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #26
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: GUI snippet

I've to resolve a couple of issues that were recently brought to my attention. If you're already using the snippet, I recommend using diff first, so that you don't wipe over your MSSP variables.

The first issue is broken packets. If the client splits the data across multiple packets, the snippet can now handle it correctly. Thanks go to Tyche for pointing this out.

The second issue is a bit more tricky. provides a mechanism for cycling through multiple terminal types, and the mud uses this standard to detect support for XTerm 256 colors. However when used with Windows telnet, the client is left in a terminal emulation mode that appears unable to communicate with the mud - and it refuses to return to the top of the list. Or to put it in simple terms: Windows telnet freezes when it connects to the mud.

My solution is a bit nasty, but it's simple and effective. If the first TTYPE is "ANSI", the mud won't request any further terminal types. This has no impact on dedicated mud clients such as WinTin++ and BlowTorch, as they identify themselves by name on the first TTYPE request.

There is an alternative approach , which I may add in the future, but it comes with a different drawback; the mud would need to pause for a few seconds before displaying the login screen. However this approach would also allow you to avoid the automatic disabling of echo for Windows telnet users.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote