View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #55
obit

Home MUD: telnet://we-dont.gotdns.org:1701
obit is on a distinguished road
Re: Can MUDs implement range/distance?

There is an example of the raw telnet server running at:

telnet to mtrek.com on port 1701

The graphical client and documentation can be found at the and once installed, can be played on:
telnet xmltrek.com port 1702.

That said, the graphical client was originally developed with the visually impaired specifically in mind, with customizable fonts, zoom levels, color indication, and sound support to audibly alert the player of the surrounding situations and and conditions. It isn't a solution for the completely blind; for that, I think a new client would need to be developed. Full-blind support built off of this [client] software would be an undertaking similar to rendering Call of Duty for the same purpose. Or at least when you compare the manpower resources of Treyarch/Infiniti Ward to those of the typical MUD developer.

As for refresh rates, the game by default runs with 4 complete updates (ticks) per second or one every 250 milliseconds. The engine is fully adjustable though, and tick rate can be set at anything from 1 millisecond per update (1000 updates per second. 250X real-time!) to the incredibly slow. Use your imagination..

Debugging, I have maxed out the tick rate and let a server run with 60ish AI MOBS/bots, zooming around blasting each other at Ludicrous Speed for hours. The only real limiting factor is the game server CPU for the raw text version, but I'm not sure how well the client can keep up with "ludicrous speed". My 512MB server (VPS hosted) keeps up just fine. I'm also running a Wordpress homepage, apache/mysql, and another complete instance of the game running offline for testing/development. I imagine that if you throw in text readers and other visual support, you may want to slow the server down instead- even to the point where it's almost turn-based feeling. All of the math is still there and in the case of fast-moving projectiles, vectors, line of site, etc., everything can be calculated behind the scenes, even accounting for moving targets or whatever. Maybe full-blind support wouldn't be so hard to implement in that case?

The game can be downloaded at:

Last edited by obit : 07-15-2012 at 01:59 AM.
obit is offline   Reply With Quote