Thread: The Name Game
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Loremaster

Loremaster is on a distinguished road
I have a pet-peeve that I thought I would bring up in order to get feedback from mud admins so that perhaps I could understand.

Connecting to New Mud!

Choosing a name for your character is very important, choose something with a (fill in the blanks) theme.

By what name shall you be known?

I am biased towards RP muds, so I guess the name thing doesn't matter to H&S players (or does it? no idea)

Even on cookie-cutter muds, a name is a prized bit of individuality. I like to choose names that are appropriate to theme, RACE, Skillset/Guild/Occupation.

V'kroth may be suitable for an Orc or barbarian race, but not an Elven healer.

So, my peeve is all the muds that ask for a name before the new player is even aware of what races/skillsets etc are available.

I do not run a mud, so I am only guessing that the name is used to create an account/datafile to store stats, gender, and initial information.

Is it really so hard to employ some kind of system where a player can choose their name at the end of the process?

Im not trying to slam admins or coders, it just seems that this should not be all that difficult, and wondered why muds don't do this.

I cannot recall the name of the mud, but recently I logged into one to see what it was like and the creation process was truly excellent. It guided me with questions about what kind of character (fighter, mage, etc); it spoke of the different races with one line descriptions of their relative strengths/weaknesses and help for further race info; the best part to me was that NAME was the last question!

The creation process gave me a brief glimpse of the mud's character possibilities (and the creativity of the coders who put this process together) and a feel for my character so that I could give it an appropriate name.

Looking forward to some informative response.

Toranga Leela's boyfriend.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote