View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Baffle

Baffle is on a distinguished road
Re: Need a new MUD/MU* !!!

Hi, Dr. Evil Phil! From what I've read of your intro, I think The Eternal City would be a great fit for you. Here's why:

* Love originality!
TEC is build on a custom codebase, with a unique setting (ancient Rome with light fantasy).

* Love variety!
TEC is unique in that it's has a classless, raceless system (though you can choose nationality, it's pretty hard to see where someone's from just by looking at them). Rather than progress along the same path as everybody else, your own goals will decide what path your character takes.

* Ouch! Perma death hurts!
Perma death is, well, permanent. But it's also very rare and will basically only happen if you really, really deserve it.

* Want Required RP!
The world is RP enforced. Staff members roam the game looking for good roleplay to reward, as well.

* Not Battle Orientated!
The battle system does rock. It's fully unique, and requires real strategy (not just typing 'kill monster' and coming back in five minutes). But there are many viable non-combat routes available. Cooperation is a necessity in the game, as combatants need the help of non-combatants, and the products of some skills are required for other skills, forcing PCs to trade.

~ artificers, shapeshifter It's light fantasy, so this kind of stuff doesn't really fit into the theme.. but hey, you can shoot catapults. Which is almost like a robot. Sort of. 8)

~ easy character creation Character creation is not a very involved process - it's a series of multiple-choice questions to help guide your backstory while you get used to the game. You're always welcome to expand on your own backstory (and what you write might make an appearance later if a gamemaster reads it and likes it) but the game itself is very much designed to get you out into the world and playing.

~ Interaction with gods/immortalsThis has been known to happen in storylines in the past. I've met, I think, three gods in my time playing the game. (Though they can be hard to spot sometimes.)

~ quests or just a MUD concept itself that requires a lot of team work As I mentioned above, the skill sets are interdependent, and it is impossible for one character to learn all of them well. Effective teamwork is also a good strategy in the game's combat system, and when facing a smart team with good strategy, no character, not even the oldest veterans, are completely invulnerable gods.

I hope this helps! The linke for TEC is . It's hosted by Skotos, which means you get access to several different MUDs with the same account, so you can see which best fits your style of play.
Baffle is offline   Reply With Quote