View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
MightyK

MightyK is on a distinguished road
Re: Cronyism and Cliques

Hello again yall. I wasn't trying to make any Creator feel badly DarkOzma, and though I never played your MUD (I'm sure it's great as I grew up on poorly-subtitled bootleg DBZ tapes) I did preface my post by saying that even where there is instances of cronyism and cliques it can still be a great game to play. Your situation does not sound like wiz power abuse to me, but as Phasma said, having intimate and precise knowledge of game mechanics can make for unfair gaming as well.

That isn't an issue if it is not abused, but I think it's important to recognize it for what it is: a slippery slope.

As Albionite said, failure to distinguish OOC/IC can be a game crusher. I have personal experience with that as well. I think that the cliques and cronyism is, at its heart, an OOC/IC failure spurred on by greed.

The religion/deity idea is interesting, and I think whenever possible NPCs should be shared, to not allow for an immortal to get a sense of ownership or entitlement for their mob. Player biases and attitudes towards staff can also develop negatively, I have found, if a specific immortal is in charge of an unpleasant NPC.
MightyK is offline   Reply With Quote