View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 08:41 PM   #3
flamewalker

flamewalker is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the spin off and summary, Ashon.

Combine the two ideas.

A non-MUD adventure game that I have limits the amount of coin that shops start with like you mention. If you sell too many items to the shop, they run out of money to buy things from you. If the admins can keep a persistant record of the shop's transactions, this will limit the store's ability to buy items.

Combine it with the your idea that the more intelligent NPC mobs shop from the same stores, and have to 'buy' their gear will resupply the shops with coin.

On the same note, you can also combine in the idea of degenerating gear here. The items that players are pulling off of mobs aren't really likely to be in the best condition, what being splattered in blood and full of sword shaped holes. Put the value that the shopkeeper NPC's give the players on a sliding scale matched to the relative condition of the item.

I know some of the graphical MMPORPGs are trying this path, but I haven't heard of any MUDs going to that extreme. I'm suspicious of it for a few reasons, including the ones that you mentioned. I very much like the idea of player owned/run shops, but I'm not sure how well it would work without NPC shops as well.
flamewalker is offline   Reply With Quote